- Avocado Pico de Gallo:
- 1 ea. medium Avocados From Mexico, diced finely
- 2 ea. baby portobello mushrooms
- 2 ea. bacon, slices thick-cut
- 1 ea. small tomato, diced finely
- 1/2 c. cilantro, chopped finely
- 1/3 ea. jalapeño, deseeded and diced finely
- 1 ea. lemon, juiced
- 2 c. water
- 1/2 c. polenta
- 1/2 c. Parmesan shavings
- 1 T. butter
- 1 t. salt
- Avocado Pico de Gallo: Cook bacon in a skillet over medium heat until it reaches a crispness that allows it to crumble into bacon bits. Set aside. / In the same skillet, use the fat rendered from the bacon to sauté the shallot for a few minutes until soft; then add mushrooms. Cook for approximately 3 minutes. Add the tomato and cook for about 5 more minutes. Remove from heat and set aside. / Place the jalapeño, cilantro and avocado in a bowl. Squeeze fresh lemon juice on top and stir gently.
- Polenta: Bring water to boil over medium-high heat in a medium-size pot. Once boiling, add the salt, then polenta, pouring it into the pot in a steady stream. / Whisk the polenta until it has thickened; then, turn the heat to low and put a lid on the pot. Continue whisking every 5-10 minutes to ensure that the polenta doesn't stick to the bottom of the pot. / Keep cooking the polenta for about 30 minutes, until it has achieved a creamy consistency. At that point, stir in the butter until it has melted. / Spoon the polenta into 2 bowls. Top with the Parmesan shavings (1/4 cup each bowl) and a generous spoonful of the shallot/mushroom/tomato mix. Then evenly distribute the avocado pico de gallo on polenta. Top with bacon bits and serve.