While most people mash or slice avocado, you can stuff it as well! Remove the seed and fill the space with tomatoes, pineapple and cilantro. This dish makes two halves so you can have one with a salad or sandwich and share with a spouse or child. Beyond being delicious, the healthy avocado featured in this recipe is sodium and cholesterol free, and contributes nearly 20 nutrients, including vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber and phytonutrients.
- 3 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved and pitted
- 2 c. tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 c. fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/4 c. white onion, finely chopped
- 1 ea. serrano chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 T. cilantro, chopped
- 1 T. lime juice
- Salt and pepper to taste (optional)
- To prepare the filling: In a bowl, combine tomatoes, pineapple, onion, serrano chile, cilantro, lime, salt and pepper (optional).
- Fill avocado halves with the filling and serve.
DISCLAIMER: While many factors affect heart disease, eating avocados as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk.
DISCLAIMER FOR LOGO USE/ AHA Disclaimer: Avocados From Mexico are certified by the American Heart Association®. Certification does not apply to serving suggestions or recipes.