Recipe by Pati Jinich
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped (or 2 t. dried)
- 2 T. fresh mint, chopped (or 2 t. dried)
- 2 T. fresh sage, chopped (or 2 t. dried)
- 1/4 c. + 2 T. olive oil
- 2 t. kosher salt, divided
- 1 t. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 c. shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes
- 1 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed
- 1 ea. zest of whole lime
- 2 T. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 t. dijon mustard
- 2 ea. hardboiled eggs, halved and yolks separated from whites, whites finely chopped
- 2 ea. Avocados From Mexico, halved, pitted and peeled, cut into large chunks
- Preheat oven to 425 ̊F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the fresh basil, mint and sage with 1/4 cup olive oil, 1–1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and shallots. Whisk with a whisk or fork until well mixed.
- Incorporate the cherry tomatoes with the marinade, toss well, and with a slotted spoon place on one half of a baking sheet.
- Peel each piece of asparagus with a vegetable peeler, starting from below the head of the asparagus (about 2-inches down) all the way down to the bottom. Place the asparagus on the other half of the baking sheet in a single line and cover and toss with the remaining marinade.
- Roast in the oven for 12 to 13 minutes, until the asparagus are cooked but still with a crisp bite. Remove from the oven.
- Remove the asparagus and set them on a chopping board to cool.
- Place the cherry tomatoes back in the oven for another 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Once cool enough to handle, remove the tomatoes from the baking sheet with a slotted spoon and pour all the juices from the baking sheet into the jar of the blender.
- Once the asparagus has cooled, cut 1-inch of the lower part of the stem and add those ends to the jar of the blender. Leave the rest of the asparagus for the salad, cut into 1 to 1–1/2-inch pieces.
- Add the lime zest, lime juice, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, Dijon mustard, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and cooked egg yolks to the jar of the blender. Puree until smooth.
- In a large serving bowl, place the big avocado chunks. Pour the thick vinaigrette on top and toss well. Place the cut asparagus on top. Spoon the roasted tomatoes on top. Garnish with the finely chopped cooked egg whites.