How to Make Avocado Green Mole
Making small changes to a meal’s sauce, rather than tackling a full-fledged, main-course makeover, can provide an approachable method for adapting a familyrecipe. A simple pinch of pepper, a hint of heat, or an ingredient addition can help turn your great-grandmother’s classic, culinary creation into your own signature sauce.
Rich, spicy, and full of flavor, mole provides a traditional topping perfect for budding homechefs wishing to experiment. Try this mole verde recipe, featuring creamy avocados, to help put your own signature spinon a savory sauce.
How to Make Avocado Mole Verde
- 1 1/2 c. pepitas, husked
- 1 c. tomatillos, halved and husked
- 1 large Avocado From Mexico
- 1/2 c. white onion, cut in large pieces
- 1/4 c. jalapeños, cleaned andcut into large pieces
- 1/2 c. fresh cilantro, cut into large pieces
- 1/4 c. romaine lettuce, cut into large pieces
- 1 t. garlic, minced
- 1 T. fresh lime juice
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 t. ground cumin
- 1/2 t. ground coriander
- 1 c. chicken stock, unsalted
- 1 t. kosher salt
- Place husked pepitas in a medium-size, cast-iron skillet over medium heatfor about 5 minutes or until they turn a golden-brown color. As the pepitas heat, shake the pan occasionally to ensure the seeds don’t stick.
- Remove the skillet from the stove and allow the pepitas to cool for 5minutes. Then, put the pepitas into a blender.
- Cut your Avocado From Mexico lengthwise and remove the pit. Then, cube 1 c. of the avocado and place it in a blender. Store the other half of your avocado in the fridge.
- Add tomatillos, onion, jalapeños, cilantro, lettuce, and garlic to the blender and puree until the mixture has a smooth texture. Set the blender jar aside.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan on medium-high until simmering. Add the ground cumin and coriander, then cook until fragrant — about 30 seconds.
- Add the blended mixture to the saucepan and stir for about 5minutes or until thickened to the consistency of tomato paste.
- Add chicken broth, stirring until the sauce begins to boil. Reduce heat and allow the mixture to simmer for 2–3 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat.Then,add salt and lime juice.
- Drizzle your avocado mole verde over Mexican handhelds, like shrimp tacos or taquitos. You can also try it over citrus-flavored dishes, such as Lime-Rubbed Chicken Tacos with Corn Guacamole, to create a blend of tang and spice.
Making Mole Moves
No matter how you plan to serve your new signature sauce, this avocado mole verde is sure to showcase your home-chef stature without abandoning family tradition. Who knows? It may even become a new, long-standing family recipe!
Visit our avocado recipe page for more new takes on Mexican-food classics.
Want even more avocado info? Provide your email address to download a free recipe e-book.