Avocado Salsa Verde
How to Make Avocado Salsa Verde
When it comes to salsa, there’s a fine line between preserving tradition and innovation. That’s why we came up with this avocado salsa verde recipe: Fresh and smooth with a spicy zing, it’s the twist on dip that’s exactly what you’ve been craving.
Avocado Salsa Verde Ingredients:
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 10 medium tomatillos
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 Avocados From Mexico, peeled and pitted
- 1 serrano, seeded
- 1/4 c. cilantro
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2tbsp. lime juice
How to Make Avocado Salsa Verde:
- Remove tomatillos from their papery covering and halve.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan. Add tomatillos, onion, and jalapeño. Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and allow all the contents of the pan to sauté until lightly browned.
- Remove pan from heat and place contents into a blender. Add avocados, serrano, cilantro, lime juice, and salt. If you like your salsa extra spicy, add the serrano or jalapeño seeds back into the mix.
- Pulse for 1 minute or to desired consistency. Store in the refrigerator and let cool before serving.
Finally, it’s time to eat! You can dip right in with tortilla chips or use this fresh avocado salsa verde as a topping for your favorite tacos, salads, or tamales.
Chef notes: Salsa pairs well with many different dishes, but one of our favorite combinations is salsa and chicken. Try pairing this salsa with our grilled chicken and avocado BLT recipe!
The unique texture of avocados transforms this classic salsa into something closer to a salsa crema — only it’s made without cream! Not only is it easy to make, but you can make this avocado salsa verde any time of year — Avocados From Mexico are always in season. So break out the blender and have some chips on hand for this delicious new dip!
Related: Green is easy with avocados. Here are four leafy greens to add to your next guacamole.
For even more delicious recipes, head to our avocado recipe page.
Want even more avocado info?
Provide your email address to download a free recipe e-book.