- 1 Avocado From Mexico, cubed
- 3 cups Enriched whole wheat rotini pasta, cooked
- 1/2 Red onion, diced
- 2 cups Cherry tomatoes (tricolored), halved
- 1/2 cups Low-sodium canned garbanzo beans (chickpeas), drained and rinsed
- 2 cups Spinach, chopped
- 2 oz Reduced fat feta cheese, crumbled
- 10 Kalamata olives, drained, chopped
- 1/2 Fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 TB Red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 2 TB Lemon Juice
- Pesto Avocado Dressing
- 1 Avocado From Mexico, peeled, pitted, and sliced
- 1/2 cup Fresh basil, chopped
- 2 Garlic cloves, mashed
- 2 TB Reduced fat parmesan cheese
- 1 TB Red wine vinegar
- 1 TB Avocado oil
- Salad instructions: 1. Prepare pasta according to package directions. Do not overcook - it is better to have firm pasta or slightly undercooked (al dente). 2. In a separate bowl, combine pasta, vegetables, cheese, olives, chickpeas, and herbs and combine with Pesto Avocado Dressing. Squeeze lemon juice on salad before serving.
- Dressing instructions: In a large bowl combine all dressing ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Store in the refrigerator until ready to prepare pasta salad. Refrigerate any remaining dressing for future use.
DISCLAIMER: While many factors affect heart disease, eating avocados as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol may reduce the risk.
DISCLAIMER FOR LOGO USE/ AHA Disclaimer: Avocados From Mexico are certified by the American Heart Association®. Certification does not apply to serving suggestions or recipes.