Recipe by Pati Jinich
If you plan on having some hungry sports fans over to watch the game, this avocado fanwich recipe is just what you need. Packed with bacon, salmon, crisp greens and deliciously ripe avocado, this sandwich is sure to grab just as much attention as what's going on the screen! Plus, the fresh avocado featured in this recipe is a heart-healthy fruit that provides naturally good fats, is low in saturated fat, is cholesterol-free and sodium-free.
- 4 tbsp lime juice freshly squeezed divided
- 5 tbsp olive oil plus more to grease dish
- 1/4 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup honey or agave syrup
- 1/2 tsp kosher or sea salt divided, or to taste
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper divided, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp red onion slivered or thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp Chipotle in adobo sauce
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 cloves garlicpressed or finely chopped
- 3 salmon (6-ounce) fillets
- 12 slices bacon
- 3 cups baby greens
- 12 slices of multi grain sandwich bread or bread of your choice
- 2 ripe Avocados From Mexico halved pitted, meat scooped out and sliced
- Credit: Pati Jinich
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, Dijon mustard, maple syrup, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Incorporate the onions, mix and let it sit so the onions will pickle or macerate while the rest of the ingredients are prepped.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the sauce from chipotle chiles in adobo, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper until well mixed.
Did you know the avocado is a fruit, not a vegetable? Learn more about the amazing avocado, including its rich history, cultural impact and tasty ways to eat this delicious superfood in guacamole as well as other dishes!