Author: Monique Volz developed a love of cooking at a young age by helping her Puerto Rican parents in the kitchen. In 2011, she started her health-based food blog, Ambitious Kitchen, and has since been featured on Food Network’s HealthyEats.com, Huffington Post, Buzzfeed, Today.com, and Cup of Jo. You can find more delicious, inspired recipes at AmbitiousKitchen.com.
While I often try to reveal tricks of the cooking trade, when it comes to toppings for avocado toast, there really are no tricks because the possibilities are endless.
One of my absolute favorite breakfasts after a sweaty workout is cool and creamy smashed avocado over sprouted grain toast. It’s something I look forward to not only because I love the flavor and texture of rich and creamy avocados, but also because there are countless ways to use them as a topping.
Over the past few years, I’ve tried nearly every avocado toast topping out there. From hot sauce and eggs to goat cheese and blueberries, I’ve experienced the contrast of sweet and savory flavors piled high on an open-faced slice of toast. Safe to say, I’ll never get sick of getting creative with my avocado toast.
Of course, if you are going to dive deep into the ether of avocado toast toppings, you first have to make sure your avocados from Mexico are ripe. You can find the perfect ones at your local grocery store simply by placing an avocado in the palm of your hand and squeezing gently. If the fruit gives a little, you’ve found a great one. If you’d like to see a demonstration, please watch this helpful video.
All the combos below are meant to provide a little creative, nutritious recipe inspiration to leave you satisfied. It’s also a clever and wonderful way to use leftover ingredients that may be lurking in your fridge, especially that half of an avocado you’ve been saving. By the way, a great way to save half an avocado is to rub lemon or lime juice on the open half, cover it with plastic wrap, and put it in the fridge until you’re ready to eat. You can see a video demonstration of this tip plus many more at Avocados from Mexico’s helpful “How-To” page.
1. 1/4 cup grilled corn + 1 tablespoon cotija cheese + cilantro:
A take on your favorite Mexican grilled corn from summertime. Sweet, savory, and satisfying.
2. 1/4 cup fresh blueberries + 1 tablespoon goat cheese crumbles + 1 teaspoon honey:
This delicious combo is tart, tangy, and sweet thanks to a fusion of honey, creamy goat cheese, and juicy blueberries.
3. 2 tablespoons sun-dried tomatoes + 1 tablespoon pesto + 1 tablespoon feta crumbles:
Tastes just like your favorite bistro sandwich for all the lovers of savory flavors out there.
4. 1/2 apple, sliced + 1 tablespoon chopped toasted walnuts + 1 tablespoon blue cheese crumbles:
A combination that you might be used to having on salad, but it just so happens to be fantastic on top of avocado toast. Try it!
5. 2 smoked salmon slices + 1 hard-boiled egg + fresh chives:
It’s like having a lox bagel except the avocado replaces the cream cheese!
6. 2 ounces grilled chicken breast, sliced + 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar:
Creamy, slightly sweet, and packed with protein. You will love this easy toast combo that’s perfect for when you have leftover chicken.
7. 1/4 cup mango cubes + 1 teaspoon diced jalapeño:
This reminds me of my favorite sweet and spicy summertime guacamole. Bonus points if you add cilantro.
8. 2 roasted turkey slices + 1 tablespoon fresh cranberry sauce + arugula:
Yep, it’s like having a little Thanksgiving toast. Great lunch option!
9. 1 hard-boiled egg (or fried egg) + hot sauce:
A classic combination that never gets old. Don’t forget the salt and pepper!
10. 1/2 cup sliced strawberries + 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar:
Fabulous, easy to make, and fresh-tasting.
11. 2 slices turkey bacon + 1 lettuce leaf + 2 tomato slices:
I call it an ABLT. Like a classic BLT but with creamy Avocados from Mexico.
12. 1/2 cup roasted sweet potato cubes + 2 tablespoons black beans:
A great vegetarian avocado toast with a boost of fiber. Add a little salsa on top for extra flavor.
13. 1 tablespoon pesto + 1/4 cup sliced cherry tomatoes:
This tastes like a summer sandwich. If you’re into mozzarella, add it!
14. 2 slices tomato + chopped fresh basil + 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar:
Pick tomatoes off the vine for ultimate flavor here.
15. 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds + 1 tablespoon goat cheese + 1 teaspoon honey:
Crunchy, slightly sweet seeds pair with tangy goat cheese and honey for an addicting toast that’s good any time of day.
16. 1/4 cup crushed plantain chips + hot sauce:
This could be my favorite of all. I love the creamy avocado with salty plantain chips and spicy sauce. Addicting.
I hope you enjoy these easy-to-make, creative avocado toast toppings. Which one will be your favorite?
Avocado Buns Perfect for Tailgating Season
How To Ripen An Avocado Overnight (Simple Trick)
Toluca Guac with Chorizo & Chiles Toreados
Provide your email address to download
a free recipe e-book.