- 1 cup wild rice rinsed
- 1 large sweet potato peeled, diced, 1 pound
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups cooked turkey meat diced
- 1 Avocado From Mexico halved, pitted, meat scooped out and diced
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery finely chopped
- 6 scallions white and light green parts thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- In a saucepan, bring 4 cups salted water to a boil. Add rice, stir, cover, bring to a boil again, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 25 to 30 minutes or until tender and grains barely starting to open. Drain, rinse with cold water, drain. Set aside.
- In same saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium-high heat, add diced sweet potato and cook until soft and tender, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Incorporate the cranberries and let them sit in the vinaigrette, while you assemble the rest of the ingredients. Add the rice, sweet potato, turkey, avocado, red bell pepper, celery and half the scallions and toss well. Taste for salt, add more if need be. Garnish with rest of the scallions and serve.
- Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, whisk the sherry vinegar with the oils, salt and pepper.
Wild Rice, Sweet Potato, Turkey and Avo Salad
Amount Per Serving
Calories 340 Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14g 22%
Saturated Fat 2g 10%
Cholesterol 35mg 12%
Sodium 490mg 20%
Total Carbohydrates 32g 11%
Dietary Fiber 4g 16%
Protein 19g 38%
Vitamin A 70%
Vitamin C 35%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.