- 2/3 cup Dried cherries
- 1/2 cup Very hot water
- 1/2 cup Avocado From Mexico diced
- 4 tablespoons Unsalted butter at room temperature plus more to butter the pan
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup All-purpose flour plus extra to flour the pan
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup Whole milk
- Adjust oven rack to middle of the oven and preheat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Butter and flour an 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool completely. Once cool, flip the cake onto a plate, then invert it onto a platter, so it is right side up, and serve.
- In the bowl of a mixer, place diced avocado and butter. Beat at medium speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add sugar and egg, and continue beating until it is well incorporated and homogeneous, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking soda and baking powder in a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the dried cherries in a small heatproof bowl or container and cover with the 1/2 cup very hot water. Set aside.
- Taking turns, alternate adding the flour mixture with the milk, until well mixed. Lastly, add the cherries along with their soaking water and continue beating until thoroughly mixed. Turn the batter into the buttered and floured cake pan, making sure it is evenly distributed.