- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion halved and thinly sliced
- 8 dried guajillo chiles stemmed seeded and cut into thin rings (with scissors)
- 1 teaspoon kosher or coarse sea salt divided or more to taste
- 1/4 cup silver tequila
- 3 ripe Avocados From Mexico halved, pitted and diced
- 2 tablespoons lime juice freshly squeezed
- 4 ounces feta cheese crumbled divided, 1/4 cup
- 6 slices thick baconcooked until brown and crisp then chopped
- Tortilla chips as needed
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over low to medium-low heat. Add onion, chiles and 1/2 teaspoon of the salt, cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly caramelized.
- Pour in the tequila and immediately tilt pan towards burner’s flames to ignite the mixture, which will last for a few seconds. Cook for another minute to allow the alcohol from the tequila to evaporate. Remove from the heat and reserve.
- In a mixing bowl, mash the avocados along with the lime juice and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt. Incorporate half of the crumbled feta cheese, mix well and taste for salt.
- Scrape the avocado mix into a serving bowl, top with guajillo mixture, chopped bacon, remaining feta cheese and serve along with tortilla chips.