Steak with a Side of Delicious
Posted June 16, 2017
June may be National Steak Month, but it’s also 2017, which means people expect more than the same old meat and potatoes. Recent studies show that seven in 10 adults are seeking healthier options when dining out. And, including a dash of avocados to your steakhouse menu can help keep your customers happy while fattening your bottom line, as customers will pay a premium for slices of this bright green fruit on their plate.
So, freshen up your steak offerings this month with these avocado side dishes that will satisfy your clientele’s growing demand for healthy options.
Garlic-Parmigiano Crusted Avocado Rings
Forget those heavy onion rings, avocado rings are the perfect light pairing to go with a tasty steak.
- 2 avocados
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped, roasted)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups bread crumbs (lightly toasted)
- 2 cups Parmigiano-Reggiano (grated)
- Slice avocado width-wise, cutting a circle around the pit.
- Separate top and bottom and remove pit.
- Cut avocado into rings and remove skin.
- Combine bread crumbs, Parmigiano, roasted garlic, and olive oil in a food processor and pulse until mixture resembles sand.
- Coat avocado rings with bread crumb mixture, covering all sides.
- Broil rings until top layer is brown and bubbly, then flip and broil other side.
Season rings with sea salt and serve.
Avocado Boat with Salmon Caviar
Let your customers know caviar isn’t just for the country club crowd by serving some up in a delicious avocado boat.
- 1 avocado (halved, skinned)
- 1 tablespoon salmon caviar
- 1/2 cup chives (chopped)
- 1 cup Crème Fraiche
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Combine lemon zest and crème fraiche and spread elegantly on serving plate.
- Place avocado half in center of plate and fill with salmon caviar.
- Sprinkle chives, pepper, and salt to taste and serve.
Avocado Rose with Crab and Basil
This tasty side is all about the presentation, with succulent crab meat served up surrounded by a bloom of avocado slices.
- 1 avocado (halved, skinned and sliced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lump crab meat
- 1 tablespoon aged blue cheese
- 1 teaspoon lime-marinated red onions
- 1 tablespoon jalapenos (diced)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Gently assemble avocado slices into a concentric “rose” formation in the center of the serving plate.
- Pile crab meat in the center of the rose.
- Drizzle olive oil and honey over avocado rose and crab meat and around the outside of the plate.
- Sprinkle red onions, jalapenos, and blue cheese over the plate.
- Finish dish with dashes of salt and pepper and serve.